Paper Punch Addiction Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow me on Pinterest
Paper Punch Addict

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ornament Punch substitute tutorial

As many of you may know, the ornament punch that I like to use in a lot of my punch art is a Stampin' Up! punch that was featured in the holiday mini catalog last year.  The sale of this punch ended on 12-31.  The fact that I love to use this shape forced me to come up with a good substitute for the shape.  Following is the instructions to make it.

This is a picture of the ornament punch next to the 2 punches you will need to copy the shape.  You will need the 1 3/4" Circle punch and the Large Oval Punch.








I punched the 2 pieces in a different color so you can see the 2 pieces layered.  First, line up the large oval over the top of the circle with 1/4" of the circle showing at the top.
















Trim away the excess at the top of the circle.  After trimming away, it will look like this.














To get the pointier bottom, locate the bottom center of the circle (you can usually just look and get close).  Trim away a small amount one each side from the bottom center of the circle.  This picture shows the right side trimmed away.














The shape isn't as perfect as the ornament, but as you can see, when I line up the ornament over the cut shape, they line up very closely (with the exception of the really pointy bottom.  But, you could cut the bottom center to be pointy instead of rounded if you prefer).















If you don't have the ornament punch but do have the Large Oval punch, you could punch it out of a heavier cardstock and use that as a template with the 1 3/4" Circle punch outs to make your own ornament going forward.

I think this will only be a temporary substitute as I am confident that Stampin' Up! will add the ornament punch to the new annual catalog that comes out in July.  Happy punching!

1 comments:

Leslie said...

Hi. I just found your site and love it and all your projects!
I am sure you know by now, but the ornament punch is here to stay and will be in the new catty in June too!

Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails